Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Module 4--Etiquette and awareness

I thought I would look at some of the websites that deal with some of my students disabilities. I think the first disability that is becoming a greater issue in schools is autism. My husband and I debated whether is was because it is being diagnosed more often or is the awareness of the disability.

I think the best site is http://www.autismspeaks.org/. I think it gives great information for all parties involved, children, parents, teachers. It is updated regularly, in fact as early as today (December 2nd).

Another regular disability that is coming up in my school is the ADHD/ADD diagnosis. I have experienced students who are not diagnosed but need to be so accommodations can be made and I have seen students who do not need the diagnosis but do. A website that I've used to help create IEP's or Chapter 15 plans is http://www.help4adhd.org/ I think it useful because it stays focused on the disability and accomodations that can be made for students to have school success.

A disability that I do not know a lot about how to respond and interact with a person without making a stupid mistake is a person who is deaf or hearing difficulty. I begain researching for some information regarding this in the way of literacy development and early childhood development. http://www.hsdc.org/ This gives some great information for how to incorporate literacy into a classroom that has students with hearing difficulties.

My sister was diagnosed with dyslexia in 1st grade. She has struggled her whole life with it but has learned how to cope and accommodate for her disability. I have used this website http://www.dys-add.com/ for helping develop the IEP's and Chapter 15 plans. I really like how the web site has accommodations for teachers and for children, especially in testing situations.

A disability that is popping up regularly in my school is conduct disabilities. This is seen in the student who has oppositional defiant disorder. This is coming up more and more and is effecting the classroom. Students and teachers have to develop coping strategies and modifications. A website that I have recently stumbled upon is http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_with_oppositional_defiant_disorder
This site helps with defining what this is as well as help with the strategies needed for teachers, students, and parents. I think something that tends to happen when someone is diagnosed with the ODD, they are "behavior problems." But the student needs the coping skills and the support from the adults in the situation.

I think also, compare to 10 years ago, schools have really developed IEP's and Chapter 15 plans to focus on the child. Where if I remember correctly when I my sister was diagnosed with dyslexia, the school was almost annoyed with the prospect that my mother wanted my sister in a regular classroom, not a special needs classroom. My mom fought for my sister be given accommodations instead of being placed in a room.

3 comments:

  1. These are great resources! Thanks for sharing them. I think I will have to bookmark some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing these sites! The IEP process can be a long one. I'm amazed at how many people have input into one. I know one of the teachers I worked with has a son with dyslexia and she admits she didn't want him labeled. She home schooled him for several years so he could "catch up" with his peers. He's in college now. She says it has been and is, a difficult journey. I agree that it's important for students with disabilities to be in the regular ed. classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting sharing of known and unknown

    ReplyDelete